I created a playlist recently called "Songs to Change My Life"-it's what I listen to when I just need a little pick me up or when I'm having a great day and there's a perfect song that captures it. When I need some encouragement or when I just need to laugh, I find myself flipping to this playlist.
We'll start with the first song: I Was Here by Lady Antebellum
Now, most people who have met me and spent any significant amount of time with me would know that I love Lady Antebellum. They hit the scene really big last year, but I had been listening to them on iTunes before the release of their first album. That's where I first heard "I Was Here."
The chorus goes like this: "I want to do something that matters, say something different, something that sets the whole world on it's ear. I want to do something better with the time I've been given and I want to try to touch a few hearts in this life. Leave nothing less than something that says I was here."
I think everyone has a desire to change the world-that's not exactly what I want to do. I just want to matter to people. And I want to live my mark on this world, just like the song says. I want people to know "I was here" and I want to know I touched someone's life-with a kind word or smile. I want people to know they can count on me and that I will always be there-and I want it to matter.
No one can make you feel that way, I've realized-you've got to believe it all on your own. You may not cure cancer or create world peace-but you can be there when people need you and give a helping hand whenever you can. You can live your life to the best of your ability and just through that make a difference.
That's what the song means to me-when I feel like I've lost my way and I can't remember what I want out of life-I can listen to this song and remember that what I want more than anything is for people to know "I was here." My family. My friends. So long as I helped them when I can, I know I'm going to leave my mark on this world.
Check out the song on iTunes. It's a good pick me up whenever you need one. Happy listening.
No comments:
Post a Comment